The event was sponsored & run by The Seasteading Institute, with central platforms built by Chicken John Rinaldi and his hard-working crew, who built a work boat and crane for the operation. The goal was to promote the cultural concept of seasteading - the construction of autonomous floating nation-states in a hands-on and accessible way.
The event amassed 9 houseboats and a community*built platform anchored to the shore. A variety of art projects were funded by TSI. The event attracted media attention and was the subject of a documentary by Stanford Film Master's student Jason Sussberg.12345.
Perhaps most importantly, it was successful enough to lead to community interest and growth in future years.
- Ephemerisle 2009 Documentary - 08:32
- Ephemerisle 2009 - by Tamas Kalman
- I'm On A Boat spontaneous community dance moment
- Brian Doherty on Ephemerisle vs.Seasteading (shot by Jason Sussberg)
- love the transition out of the mini-interview (minterview?)
- First test of Patri's Pirate Pyramid raft - by Sean Hastings. This raft capsized during Patri's journey to the site when he tried climbing to the top for a better view.
- Ephemerisle Saturday night - short clip of how the island looked Saturday night.
- Matt and Holly fighting with light sabers
- Saikat describing Ephemerisle Sunday morning
- "Drunk" guy crosses back from Achievement Lounge Ben Lavender - seastead.org's sysadmin!)
- Matt's Ripple Theater
- Aerial images
- Chris Rasch (257 pics)
- Kalman (186 pics)
- Liz Henry (136 pics)
- Anja Ulfeldt (89 pics)
- Matt Bell (54 pics)
- Ben Lavender (29 pics) - Ephemerisle & Conference
- Danger Ranger (23 pics)
- Sean Hastings (21 pics)
- Lasse Birk Olesen (38 pics) - Ephemerisle & Conference
- For 2+ years, Ephemerisle 2009 (picture taken Friday, before full combining of boats/platforms) was in the Google Maps satellite image for that location, it was lots of fun to show it to people in their Google Maps :). As of 2012, the image has been updated and Ephemerisle is no longer there.
- Sean Lynch: Lessons learned at Ephemerisle, and the dairy ferry (about the rope ferry).
- Matt Bell: the Ephemerisle experience - *It was beautiful, sublime, chaotic, messy, and full of potential for future years.*, many pictures.
- ephemerisle, year 1 - a grand success!
- Matt Bell's list of Lessons learned
- Chris Rasch - Thought dump following Ephemerisle ‘09
- Will Wilson -- his questions before attending Ephemerisle, and his thoughts afterwards.
- James Hogan
- Patri Friedman
- Describing a few tiny fragments of an incredible experience.