We are a gathering of thinkers, doers, artists, dreamers, muckrakers, and builders interested in life on the water.
We construct a floating city on the Sacramento River Delta at Mandeville Point and live on it for seven days.
There are no tickets, no central organizers, no rules, and no Rangers to keep you safe. You must practice radical self-reliance, if you want to have a good time.
Since there's no central organizer, the event only happens if people contribute.
After lively discussion in 2012 about the values that connect Ephemerislers as a community, the following received broad support:
- Seasteading. Ephemerisle was started by The Seasteading Institute (TSI), a non-profit devoted the creation of long-term human communities on the water (aka seasteading). Although the event is now entirely community run, many of the attendees continue to be enthusiasts of living on the water.
- Art. A society without art has no soul. Just as Burning Man has inspired art in the desert, we want to inspire art on the sea.
- Learning. One of the goals of TSI in starting Ephemerisle was to give people who may not have much boating experience the opportunity to gain nautical skills: anchoring, sailing, ropework, etc in a relatively safe environment. In addition, many of the attendees are scientists, engineers, artists, entrepreneurs and activists, who frequently have fascinating stories to tell. There are many opportunities to learn from each other at Ephemerisle.
- Community. Spend a week rafted up on the Delta with awesome people, and you can't up but connect with old friends, and make new friends.
Ephemerisle 2016 will take place during July 11 - 17.
Before anything else, please read the Survival guide!! The Survival guide contains important "how tos" and information on having a fun, safe time.
Then go on to the main page for Ephemerisle 2016.
Here are the dates for future years.
Here's a few things you can do: bring art, give talks, build your own boats and platforms, rent a truck and help carry floating platform parts, build illumination, make music, bring a wakeboard, and help build this wiki.
- Join the Facebook Group.
- Attend scheduled pre-Ephemerisle events. If there's none listed, check back regularly.
- Create an art project.
- Help create / maintain this wiki. Ask Adam Katz for access and see the wiki todo list.