While taking apart the city there were a lot of very bad knots. Generally speaking a good knot not only holds whatever it is designed to, but is also easy to untie. Knots on top of knots on top of knots, shows a lack of confidence that the original knot will hold.
Here are knots everyone should know for a tieup like ephemerisle:
- Cleat Hitch - Used for attaching anchors lines or dock lines to a cleat.
- Figure 8 - Stopper knot
- Bowline - Forms a loop which holds perfectly, yet unties almost effortlessly.
- Clove Hitch - To tie off a line to a post, or railing.
Extra knots which are good to know:
- Fisherman's Knot - A good way of attaching to lines together
- [True Reef Knot] - A good temporary knot which will hold, but comes undone with one pull.
- Trucker's Hitch