We are thinkers, doers, artists, dreamers, muckrakers, and builders interested in life on the water.
We construct a floating city on the Sacramento River Delta and live on it for seven days.
There are no tickets, no central organizers, no rules, and no Rangers to keep you safe.
Since there's no central organizer, the event only happens if people contribute.
After lively discussion in 2012 about the values that connect Ephemerislers as a community, the following received broad support:
- Seasteading. Ephemerisle was started by The Seasteading Institute (TSI), a non-profit devoted the creation of long-term human communities on the water (aka seasteading). Although the event is now entirely community run, many of the attendees continue to be enthusiasts of living on the water.
- Art. A society without art has no soul. Just as Burning Man has inspired art in the desert, we want to inspire art on the sea.
- Learning. One of the goals of TSI in starting Ephemerisle was to give people who may not have much boating experience the opportunity to gain nautical skills: anchoring, sailing, ropework, etc in a relatively safe environment. In addition, many of the attendees are scientists, engineers, artists, entrepreneurs and activists, who frequently have fascinating stories to tell. There are many opportunities to learn from each other at Ephemerisle.
- Community. Spend a week rafted up on the Delta with awesome people, and you can't up but connect with old friends, and make new friends.
Ephemerisle 2021 will take place July 19 - July 25!
The Survival guide contains important "how tos" and information on having a fun, safe time. The survival guide has not been updated for covid related safety issues.
Looking for a berth? Join a crew!
Last minute notes
Ephemerisle can be a hazardous event. Please help us bring on-site medical personnel by donating to this fundraiser:
Kevin Hinman has provided and continues to provide much infrastructure and labor for Ephemerisle over many years: Bridge Boat (used to push Bargey and other craft), Movie Barge, Blues House, hundreds of feet of walkways, and many other contributions. Providing all of this infrastructure is costly. Please help us express appreciation for his past contributions by donating to this fundraiser:
Need a ferry ride? Don't delay! And make sure you have a ride both ways. Ferry service is often in short supply:
Need parking? SHIP Marina / Erin Bishop has graciously offered parking for Ephemerisle attendees:
Erin has also put together a handy list of links:
More parking locations are available here:
Want to help fund a Porta-Potty? Unless otherwise specified, this fundraiser will go to funding a Porta-Potty:
Note however that no one has stepped up to manage rental / delivery / pickup of PortaPotties yet. Maybe that person is you?
Do you know where you will be going to the bathroom? Don't assume that toilets will be available for you. Build your own composting toilet ($75) with parts sourced solely from Home Depot:
Need a ride? Can't find an Uber? Best Super Cab / "Cheema" may be available:
~$45 to Antioch Bart
925 394 6132
510 309 4275
Charlie Deist will be broadcasting live from Pikler Island this year about how to optimize for health, fun, and freedom on the water.
Enjoy Episode 1 - Several Sailboats and a Central Platform:
It's still not too late to sign up for the Sailing & Seasteading Bootcamp, and bypass the many mistakes I've made since my first Ephemerisle in 2011. I also have some berths (bunks) available for a nominal donation to the island fund.
- Capt. Charlie
Note that as a decentralized gathering, it's up to each island to decide for themselves when to show up, and other islands may show up before or after the consensus dates. However, for most islands, Ephemerisle starts on the Monday of the last full week in July
Here are the dates for the next few years:
2022: July 18 - July 24
2023: July 24 - July 30
2024: July 22 - July 28
2025: July 21 - July 27
2026: July 20 - July 26
Here's a few things you can do: bring art, give talks, build your own boats and platforms, rent a truck and help carry floating platform parts, build illumination, make music, bring a wakeboard, and help build this wiki.
- Join the Facebook Group.
- Attend scheduled pre-Ephemerisle events. If there's none listed, check back regularly.
- Create an art project.
- Help create / maintain this wiki. Ask Adam Katz for access and see the wiki todo list.