We are a gathering of thinkers, doers, artists, and builders interested in life on the water.
We construct a floating city on the Sacramento River Delta and live on it for seven days. If any analogies have to be made, we're more 4th of Juplaya than Burning Man. There are no tickets, no central organizers, no rules, and no Rangers to keep you safe. It's radical self-reliance.
Since there's no central organizer, the event only happens if people contribute. Here are some things you can do: bring art, give talks, build your own boats and platforms, make music, help build this wiki, go wakeboarding and enjoy being a pioneer.
Never board a boat without asking first, as according to the ancient laws of the sea, each captain is sovereign over his vessel. But generally default assumption at this gathering is that you will be welcomed aboard.
Seasteading seeks to move human communities out into the vast expanse of our planet covered in water. Ephemerisle gives an introduction into the physical challenges of being on the water and learning ways to deal with them. It also provides for small scale experimentation in differing forms of governance. For more information, see the Seasteading Institute. The Seasteading Institute has had no affiliation with Ephemerisle since 2009.
A society without art has no soul. We need to have art, beauty, and creativity in our lives.
We thrive off of sharing knowledge and learning from one another. “Memocracy” micro-talks have been a core of the event. Ephemerislers are now teaching clinics in anchoring and other boating skills. Learning by doing is also key.
Ephemerisle is an event that doesn’t happen unless we build it together. Everyone should be contributing.
Ephemerisle 2015 is at Mandeville Point during July 20 - July 26.
Help schedule, plan, or attend any upcoming events...
- Join the Facebook Group and the Mailing Lists, or chat on IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ephemerisle). Introduce yourself and stay tuned to the mailing list and Facebook group for opportunities.
- If you are bringing a boat or floating platform, fill out the boat/platform survey so we can plan the city.
- Bring an Art Project.
- Help fund an Art Project.
- Rideshares, boatshares, and more.
- Knots to know
- Info about anchoring
- Bring Your Own Land (BYOL) with [Ratha Grimes' 2011 platform design]
- Don't die, and other safety recommendations
- Related and interesting links